I’m not even sure where to start on this one. A lot has happened since my initial posting on the Trayvon Martin case.
The first thing I want to say about where this case has gone is “WOW”! Are you freaking kidding me? Zimmerman still hasn’t been charged and he was given his murder weapon back by Sanford police? At least the DOJ is getting involved.
And of course, Fox News and right-winged sites have turned this into a political issue where if you’re white you have to take Zimmerman’s side and yes, people I know took the bait.
Political pundits are using his death as political fodder for the upcoming election cycle and it’s despicable to say the least. Here’s a look at the media madness surrounding Trayvon’s death:
- Geraldo Rivera said that Trayvon wearing a hoodie was equally responsible for his death as Zimmeran’s shot.
- Glenn Beck’s site the Blaze smeared Trayvon by looking into his past and insinuating that his suspension from high school equals a criminal background. We now know that he was suspended for having traces of marijuana in his pocket.
- This illustration (seen below) which was probably photoshopped has been circulating around Twitter without a source. An obvious attempt to depict Trayvon as a thug.
You can say Trayvon looked like a thug (which a lot of people are saying as if that makes it okay to kill someone), he may have gotten suspended for bullying or that he refers to himself as a “nigga.” None of that means ANYTHING! It’s all speculation. So let’s look at the facts (I know this is a scary word to a lot of people out there):
- Trayvon was killed with a bag of Skittles and an iced tea in his pocket (no gun, no knife, no weapon, no nothing). He was unarmed.
- Zimmerman has a police record after assaulting police in 2005 and resisting arrest. Trayvon has NO criminal record. Let me spell that out again… NO CRIMINAL RECORD.
- Zimmerman called SPD 46 times between Jan. 1, 2011 and the time he shot Trayvon showing that he had a close relationship with Sanford police.
- Trayvon was bagged and taken to the morgue where he was labeled a John Doe for three days before police contacted his parents.
- His cell phone was confiscated (who knows what the police did to his phone history and texts).
- Zimmerman was not following neighborhood watch rules (especially the one that says you can’t drive around your neighborhood in a vehicle strapped). If you see something suspicious, you report it to police and let them do their job. In Zimmerman’s initial 911 call, you can clearly hear the police officer tell Zimmerman not to pursue the suspect, but he did anyway.
- Multiple witnesses say they heard someone scream for help many times then a gunshot was heard and the screaming stopped (visit this site to hear the witness 911 calls).
A lot of people are alluding to the Stand Your Ground law in Florida that states that a person does not have to retreat if they feel their life is in danger. They can shoot first. But the law does not say that you can follow a suspect, engage with them, shoot and kill them, then claim self-defense. If that’s the case, I can shoot anyone I want and claim self-defense. I’ll be sent home with a pat on the back.
Sanford Police Department’s Incompetence
The SPD is trying to cover for Zimmerman for whatever reason. If you can recall, Chief Lee (who has now stepped down until further notice) said he cannot prove that Zimmerman didn’t act in self-defense. That’s weird because I though you had the “burden of proof” in a murder case. Imagine going to a judge after you kill someone and the judge automatically takes your side and defends your innocence. In America, you have to provewhy you’re innocent… What’s the point of the judicial system if you don’t even have to defend yourself and the police, the prosecutor and the judge immediately take your side?
Despite multiple witnesses that want to use their accounts as evidence, Sanford police refuse to do so because they feel that Zimmerman’s account is all they need. They even allegedly told a witness that it wasn’t Trayvon they heard screaming but it was Zimmerman. Can they even do that?
Sanford police lied to the Martin family telling them that Zimmerman’s record was clean. Zimmernan’s father also lied by claiming Trayvon chased after Zimmerman. That was not what the 911 call exposed. Now SPD is saying that Trayvon decked Zimmerman with one blow and that Trayvon reached for Zimmerman’s gun as if to say that the use of deadly force was reasonable by Zimmerman. But what about the fact that Zimmerman pursued Trayvon? Funny how they leave that evidence out.
Even if Trayvon did beat Zimmerman’s ass, he had every right to. Zimmerman had no right to follow Trayvon, confront him and question his residence. That’s not his duty.
The craziest thing about this story is what the first officers to the scene did. Not only did an alleged narcotics officer arrive before the homicide unit, the two initial officer tried to resuscitate Trayvon through CPR. Really? A kid has a bullet hole in his chest and is bleeding to death and you think breathing in his mouth is going to help? CALL THE EMT YOU FOOLS!
Unbelievable… This is why the Department of Justice must get involved. The Sanford police are not cut out for real police work. They will be exposed.
This case is not a black and white issue (despite a black boy being killed in cold blood) but this is America so blacks and whites will make it such. Black people want to get involved in this case because a black boy was killed and white people want to protect Zimmerman because they want to play the reverse racism card.
People on Twitter are saying things like “Well, a white boy was beat up by a black man yesterday” (as if this is equivalent to the Trayvon case where a boy was KILLED). And my response to that is, “Did perp get sentenced?” And they respond “Yea, he’s in prison.” And I want to be like, “So what’s your point?!” Zimmerman hasn’t even been charged or put on trial. How are these cases equivalent?
In the cases where whites are beaten or killed by a minority assailant, the minority goes to prison. When Trayvon Martin gets killed by a white person, not only is there no investigation, but the cops cover up the crime, let the man walk free and give him back his murder weapon.
This isn’t about people getting excited over a white man killing a black boy. This isn’t about the “liberal media” painting Zimmerman as a racist. This isn’t about Obama and the Department of Justice taking on this case because they love black people and hate white people.
This is about a dead child who has not received justice and an incompetent Sanford Police Department that has a history of cover-ups.
Above everything else, why can’t we let Trayvon rest in peace. We keep digging up dirt, smearing him and referring to him as a thug. Who cares? What does that have to do with the evidence on the scene? I didn’t want to write this, but this story has turned so ugly so fast. There’s so much misinformation going around, I had to step in.
Look up the facts. Don’t spread lies. Don’t believe the hype and show some respect for the dead.